Working one on one with a person with disabilities. During the day you might work with more than one person. Assisting them to reach goals that has been developed so they will become as independent as possible. These goals are personalized for individual.
Hours for this position are currently Monday through Thursday from 9am - 3pm. Please note that hours are subject to change without notice.
1. Required knowledge, skills, and abilities: Knowledge of basic principles of I/DD; ability to work with persons who may be different from oneself in areas of ability, age, economic status, etc.; empathy and understanding of consumer problems and ability to respond to these problems; ability to determine consumer needs; ability to secure the cooperation of consumer.
2. Implement individual habitation plan involving instructing, modeling, or assisting the consumer in daily living skills, socialization, leisure and/or recreational activities.
3. Document the service provided in CAP/CS notes. The basic data included in these notes will include observations, consumer participation and progress, behavior changes or any pertinent information relating to the consumer. All documentation must be completed on the day service is provided and completed in BLACK INK only. Use of white out is not acceptable.
4. Adhere to company policy that prohibits taking a consumer to a private residence without written approval from administration.
5. Supervise/assist consumers in general housekeeping activities, meal preparations, eating, grooming, bathing, personal care needs, etc.
6. Provide transportation for the consumer to community services/activities when required.
7. Assist consumer with money management.
8. Encourage consumer to make decisions on his own, as appropriate, to maximize independent living skills. (May include making/keeping appointments.)
9. Submit all required documentation by the specified deadlines.
10. Be familiar with company policies and procedures including the securing of emergency services and the regulations concerning medication administration.
11. Attend all mandatory staff meetings/consumer conferences or give advance notice to Group Home Director as to reasons for inability to attend.
12. Receive on-site supervision by Mental Health Case Manager annually and as needed. A Case Manager will also make supervisory visits to each consumer’s residence with or without the
worker’s presence every three months.
13. Must be familiar with all CAP/CS regulations to work with a CAP/CS consumer.
14. Report any changes in consumer’s condition, or needs to the appropriate personnel.
15. Assure that consumer is never left alone in a vehicle or any public place.
16. Assure consumer’s rights are met. Notify supervisor if in doubt.
17. Maintain consumer confidentiality at all times.
18. Obtain and keep current all training required by Therapeutic Alternatives for current position. Understand that failure to renew training by its due date will result in being removed from the work
schedule until the training is brought up to date.
19. Report to Director any suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation of consumer.
20. Become familiar with and abide by HIPAA regulations.
21. Perform other duties as required by circumstances.
Must be 25 years old (requirement by auto insurance company) with High School Diploma or GED and be able to read, write, understand and follow directions. Must have no substantiated findings on
the NC Personnel Registry /Health Care Program or be listed on the HHS/OIG List of Excluded Individual/Entities. SBI and DMV records must meet the requirements of area mental health contracts.
Experience with persons with developmental disabilities preferred but not required.